I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

29 April 2012

Oops!


The problem is 
she thought she was helping,
doing something nice for me,
and for her dad.

‘You can take the laptop
into the nursing home,’ she said, 
‘And watch all these
wonderful movies together.’

The problem is
I’m five days into my billing period
and now, for the rest of the month,
the service has been slowed.

I’ll have to wait a while
to see last night’s ‘New Tricks’
that I missed, on iView. I hope 
I can still work the blogs.

The problem is
after the slowing began
the movies didn’t 
completely download.

All that for nothing!
When I can just as easily
and almost as cheaply
hire the DVDs.

The problem is
I didn’t see the warning emails
until this morning, too late 
(now that she’s gone back home).

The dreadfulness of our task
had me retiring early to cry,
her staying up late on the net
to distract herself.

The problem is
he keeps saying 
he wants to come home
and I wish that too, but it can’t be.

And so we seek for ways
to help him, and help me too,
enjoy the new life
we have to have.

The problem is much bigger
than a slow internet connection
for about three weeks
and a few useless downloads.

(Meanwhile I sit here 
in the warm dressing-gown 
she bought me; money in my wallet, 
and a fridge full of food — bless her!)


April PAD Challenge #28: A problem
(Yes, I can still work my blogs.)

Also submitted for Poets United's Poetry Pantry #98

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to the waiting and hoping for something to pass, and maybe acceptance of the current state of the health. I like your use of oops and useless downloads...its more than that ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. A daughter visits and leaves money in YOUR wallet????? At my house it always works the other way around!:-) Rosemary, the poignancy of his wanting to come home. Of course he does. Of course you do. Such an adjustment period ahead. Thankfully it is close to your house, you can nip in and out frequently. He will adjust when he sees you are still close by and present. Though it is a situation no one ever wants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Rosemary. It takes us through many moods, and arrives at contentment, and a thankful heart. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.