I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

19 April 2014

Weather Report, Outside and In

It's a warm autumn day outside
but overcast in the house
with the blinds all closed 

against the heat,
which is not extreme.
I forget that Summer has gone.

I'm listening to Rufus Wainwright
soaring on YouTube, singing 
Fare Thee Well ... "oh, fare thee well."

I've shut my doors against 
one who wants to come and rest here 
after his latest hurt.

He said, ”I'm not asking for a saviour
but a friend. If it goes on past a month,
I'll just add my name to the lease."

"Oh no you fucking won't!" I said.
Now I feel as if I'd swallowed 
a mass of thick grey sludge.

He says I'm harsh. I know I'm selfish.
"Have you ever had nowhere to go?"
he asks. "Have you ever just wanted

a quiet place with a good friend?" 
No. Nevertheless.
It's a warm autumn day, outside.


April Poem A Day Challenge 2014, day 18: a weather poem.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Rosemary, you are so right to protect your sanctuary. You are still grieving. YOU are not selfish one bit!! I like the mention, before and after, of the warm autumn day outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry. I do feel that — and the guilt-trip is somewhat effective all the same. I may need to do a tie cut to this person.

      Delete
  2. LOL. I lived at the Channon for 20 years. No one understands this better than I....am still laughing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've lived here for 20 years, and I can't figure out what 's so funny! ??

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.