I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

15 April 2015

Everything Went Away Through the Broken Rainbow

Everything that matters, I suppose. Or an amorphous all, that shockingly
went off into a mist? (Like the gap in the universe in Doctor Who.)
Away where? A mystery never explained to my full understanding
through all these months of being without you. Here we go again:
the recurring subject matter of my life and therefore my poems.
Broken dreams, broken relationship ... broken trust? No, not that last. 
Rainbow — symbol of hope and beauty — may be found in a mud puddle.


For the 14th day of April, at 'imaginary garden with real toads' we can link to any of our poems, old or new. I am writing new ones every day this April, and here I try another first word acrostic, as I find the form productive. The title (used also in the acrostic) is a phrase that just popped into my head, seemingly from nowhere, as lines of poetry sometimes do. I didn't consciously know what it meant, and thought this would be a good way to explore it (which it was). I might have guessed! — another bereavement poem, another step in the working through.

14 comments:

  1. You do a great job -with this kind of poem! Dr. Who makes me smile~ I wrote about a rainbow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea here--of rainbow in mud puddle--beauty all over the place. Thanks, Rosemary. K. (Manicddaily)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked reading your leading word acrostic, Rosemary. You are clever. I think that rainbow was broken because the mud puddle soaked it up. I am glad you did not have a broken trust. I did, and it makes it harder to trust again. Much harder.
    Thank you for finding my spelling error. I pronounced it right for syllable count, any credit for that?
    Also I would have a full rainbow picture that I had taken for today but Google/Blogger/Picasa decided that I should use something else. I might change now that it is working. Or add it.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Rosemary. I love the idea of a broken rainbow, an unusual but oddly fitting image. Maybe the break in the rainbow is where their souls slip through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the grief in your words ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're quite adept at these acrostics, so they don't bear the weight of necessity, but carry the lightness of vision ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like so much to find the rainbow in the mud-puddle.. maybe there is hope somewhere in that despite the sadness...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous last line! Such a paradox! The rainbow and all else may break--but not trust. A rainbow may be just a symbol while the trust and beauty are real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i luv the end line the "rainbow in the puddle" it carries that grand scope of looking for the beauty, in everyday existence and the faith that its there

    thanks for dropping in to read mine

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last few lines made me smile with my entire face...

    And the Doctor Who allusion is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's beautiful that through the speaker's pain this gap or broken rainbow stands as a door open, sucking so much out, pain caught in the jamb, yet holding the promise of positive things to come back through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting! I just now tried an acrostic for the first time, and here you are with a variation. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love where the words took you, Rosemary. This is a really good form for you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.