I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

1 May 2015

Over and Out

The fine, blue rim of the Earth
falls away beneath me. I've overshot.

I can make only one last communication.
I'll soon be out of range. Also, shutting off.

With the communicator off, I can survive
a very long time. I have all the resources.

Might even find a new planet yet, or a new
time zone or both. But it's goodbye to you.

Dear Earth, and all my friends and family,
I will miss you forever. I wish I had saved you.

But it's a big Universe. One of the others
might still get home safe with good news.

Somewhere there will be rivers and seas
that still have fish, not toxic wastes.

Somewhere there will be landscapes
with abundant trees and pure air.

Some day, someone you sent to explore
will return with knowledge of a new Earth.

Forgive me please for my error, but anyway
I had no new hope to bring you, nothing.

I just wanted to come home, to touch down,
to see you, to recapture my youth ....


The final prompt for 'Poems in April' at 'imaginary garden with real toads' is: 'A few minutes from now, you will lose all means of communication with humanity.  You will not die, but will no longer be able to interact with the world.  What's the last thing you say?'  I felt I needed to create a scenario to explain this circumstance. As to the content, my last message in any circumstance, if I knew it to be the last, would always be of love.


17 comments:

  1. Oooo. Acceptance is sad and also liberating, allowing for hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully sentimental.. loved your emotions flowing through this wonderful piece..!
    Congratulations on making it through this month :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of david Bowje and major toms! Agh-- to be leaving earth would be so terrible. There's a subtle poignancy here-- thanks so muxh, rosemary . For all this month. On phone so forgive typos. K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was reminded of Bowie (major tom!) and I really like that you went sci-fi and built a storyline around your narrator. Those last lines, "I just wanted to come home, to touch down,
    to see you, " really speak to what we all want in some way or another. Congrats on writing a wonderful poem and thanks for posting! viva la

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I loved this as I read...........the blue rim of the earth, the lifting off in search of healthier worlds, the sorrow you could not save her.........maybe our souls feel much the same way as we leave this planet, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my soul has always wanted to return, over and over again. :)

      Delete
  6. You just wrote an entire movie in a poem. The suspense, the passion, the open choices, and then the bittersweet resolution. I think that I, too, would have made your speaker's choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just leaving into space, I see a reason I don't like I foresee long days talking to HAL... This last goodbye to earth bring science fiction of the best kind to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very 'ground control to major tom'. congratulations on a full month, Rosemary ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been a sucker for sci fi, so I really enjoyed the scenario you created here.

    Congratulations on achieving the full 30 poems in 30 days. A remarkable feat of will and stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at the first line. I too was reminded a bit of Major Tom, with the poignant, homesick feelings. Also, congrats on finishing the 30/30! Yay - we did it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of your process note's last sentence...yes, resounding yes!

    Your poem holds bitter-sweet in such a gentle way. Beautiful work, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I feel the same. My last words would be of love. Thank you for the poetry you brought to April.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this. It's almost like OH WELL on to better things! Hah.
    Reminds me of the novel The Martian, which I really enjoyed. You might, too.
    Hey you did it! Congrats on your April successes!!! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It would be really nice if someone comes here with the knowledge of new earth and tell us what we have done to our earth.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.