I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

7 November 2016

Cooking Up a Storm, er, Form

There was something about the dizain,
It suited me down to the ground. 
It is not the case with the trimeric.
(I keep wanting to call it turmeric.)

It suited me down to the ground,
the dizain. But the trimeric puts me in mind
of ground-up spices – or, I suppose, ground down.

It is not the case with the trimeric
that my mind rises lightly to the challenge 
like a perfect syllabub. (Syllables are not to be thought of.)

I keep wanting to call it turmeric,
and to take ship for the spice realms
to acquire more flavour, or even a whole new recipe.


Written in response to a form challenge at Poetic Asides.
Sharing (July 2017) with Poets United's Poetry Pantry #364

27 comments:

  1. Hahaha! My favorite is "ground-up spices – or, I suppose, ground down."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wanting to call it turmeric..........LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Syllabub"! What a perfectly spectacular word. And it looks quite delicious; I just came across a delectable picture of some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! So delicious! Susan has already quoted my favorite line! And isn't doing a whole new recipe challenging and exciting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very clever, kiddo. You rocked the form, and humourously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the humor, the lilting melody, the form - and especially the play on words with trimeric and turmeric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got me into the mood for a perfect sunday curry... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is absolutely delightful!❤️ Especially loved; "I keep wanting to call it turmeric, and to take ship for the spice realms to acquire more flavour, or even a whole new recipe." Beautifully rendered!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for making me smile - much needed delight

    ReplyDelete
  10. How essential it is to see the funny side of medicine and the reasons for the pills and potions. I was reading only recently about the number of dangerous drugs we ingest in Australia in the battle with our ailments and wonder if they are really necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More culinary than medicinal in this case. (Grin.)

      Delete
  11. LOL nice one Rosemary

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the form -delightful spicy poem - had me smiling and rocking along

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm. This was an educational (?) experience. First I had to investigate trimeric, and find it is made up of three monomers. Next I had to investigate monomers, and find they are a component of polymer. Next ... there was no next, I was hopelessly lost! Very clever poem, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh (sorry). Didn't mean to tangle you up like that.

      Delete
  14. After reading the last line of your first stanza, I could only smell spices...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a frolicking little gem & now I'm thinking of Thai for dinner

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun as I kept wanting to call it turmeric as well...a flavorful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Turmeric has become one of my favorite spices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too!!! Very versatile & healthy too.

      Delete
  18. Adding some spices to your poetry - I wonder how many times I've called something by a different name though?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a clever treat, dished up with a dash of poetic edification. It gifted my day with a whiff-of-spice smile. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.