I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

26 December 2017

Un-Scrooging

It’s Christmas time, and I do not believe
in all that crass, commercial carry-on.
I like to give. Most focus on ‘receive’
this time of year. The feasting, though, is fun.
I did that twice, the first on Christmas Eve;
then Christmas Day we fronted up again.
I must confess, the presents that I got
are great. ‘Bah, humbug!’ doesn’t hit the spot.

I had good conversations. One young man
regaled me with his fishing expertise;
I matched him catch for catch and line for line,
our heads together half the evening. He’s
a schoolboy, still a youth of just sixteen,
while I am far into my seventies, 
and yet we found such happy common ground
each counts the other now as a new friend.

On Christmas Day we dined with son’s old mates
(several I have known since they were small).
The hours of well-spaced courses, fun debates
with smart, like-minded people did not pall –
music, movies, books, fish, cheese, desserts …
we rose reluctantly as evening fell,
and drove home peaceful, happy and replete.
So now, goodwill to all! My life is sweet.


Another ottava rima for the Poetic Asides challenge.

Later: Although it is now far past Christmas (February, in fact) I am sharing this one with Poets United's Poetry Pantry #390

20 comments:

  1. Indeed it is, and so are you, my friend. My stomach is astonished at the amount and variety of all i am eating yesterday and today. Lol. I enjoyed reading about your lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful Christmas celebration, Rosemary. How nice to find common ground with a 16-year-old. I bet he will remember this with fondness for a long time to come as well. If only all holiday celebrations could be this satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's people, not presents, that make Christmas a time worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely look back to Christmas. its always nice to share with family and friends for the Celebration

    Have a good Sunday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds exactly the way Christmas should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a perfect christmas... especially those conversations... there is nothing better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a wonderful Christmas...It will sustain your for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!💞 I feel we can have a connection with anyone so long as there is common ground.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This Is what the holiday season is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a marvelous Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your Christmas story, I think the gift is the spirit of the company that is most filling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds wonderful--a Christmas story for all year round really

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet and upbeat. I enjoy Christmas when I think of it as a season of gifts and not one day to open them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You enjoyed a sweet Christmas. No, no room for bah, humbug. I'm glad. It was inspiration for this cheerful poem. It's not Christmas, so won't wish you Merry. But I do wish you happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is wonderful! Folks have got to give-a-thought to keeping their holiday priorities straight. They seem to get off track and/or burdensome so easily, these days. (Too much hype, I think.) There is so much about the season to enjoy. If it isn't enjoyable, it's time to pause and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the story about you making a connection with the 16-year-old boy. Age can set the dumbest unnecessary limits. I have always fit in better with people who are younger. My oldest daughter does well with both younger and older, but not the same age. Once a new conversation's begun, you can unravel the most wonderful relationships and connections you might never have thought would be there. The same happened to me on Christmas Eve --- only the boy was 18 and he's my nephew, but one I only see every few years. So it was quite a surreal twenty minutes, me still picturing him as a toddler really.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is truly wonderful, making that magical connection with an unexpected person. You have him the best gift...You listened to him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. as evening fell,
    and drove home peaceful, happy and replete.
    So now, goodwill to all! My life is sweet

    How nice! You can hold on your own with the youngsters, that's just great Rosemary!
    Your life is so complete and blessed

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, I love this sweet remembrance of favorite Christmas things and feelings. The end is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.