I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

2 October 2017

Promises

I signed, 'Love forever'. He replied:
'Forever is a long time to love. How about, 
Love – as long as you're still
the person you are today.'
(It was a promise, not a question.)

He died soon after. 
Decades later, 
love appears to be forever ...
after all, he is still 
the person he was that day.


Exercise: 55 words (excluding title)

17 comments:

  1. Oh, WOW! 55 words that tell a wonderful story. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. clever story with a moral. really impressed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's heartbreakingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very sweet, Rosemary. I believe in that forever kind of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the link with eternity as fresh as the moment - very moving Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such, a sweet perception and i think we should follow this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love should be like that--honest, from the heart and brain, lasting for as long as it can feed itself, human.

    I love, love, love this, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed love should be like that only!💕 I absolutely love this, Rosemary!!💕

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple and powerful. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice turn around to something that first sounded like a pre-nup. My husband first asked if he could kiss me. I said, how about we kiss each other?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is so true... the ones who have left are always there... unchanged. So forever sounds sane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forever does indeed sound sane and safe - I will love my husband forever - as long as he still loves me. But only if he does some changes as I wll do some changes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! Yeah he has never changed. Making me think, Rosemary (also feel)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving is forever however one sees it. It cannot be any other way!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha!!! Some weasel words!!! "Forever if."
    He has an out, no one stays as they were. Lots leave when the change comes, mine did. (I grewcup and ceased being her little boy toy.)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very true Rosemary....a lovely poem indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.